Thursday, July 19, 2012

Inspiration

From the title of this post, you may have expected to be bombarded by various quotes and sayings that will change your life, make you sigh with contentment, and possibly hug a stranger. Nope. That's what your Facebook newsfeed is for.

People often ask me where I come up with ideas for outfits.

My top three sources for style inspiration are:
1) Fashion blogs
2) Magazines
3) Pinterest

I have a confession. I used to be a blog stalker. Before I had Glitterary Girl, I had a ton of blogs bookmarked in my favorites folder. Now that I have my own blog, I connect thorough Google Friend Connect, Twitter, or Facebook and my social media pages tell me when they update. Time saved... splendid!

I haven't consciously ever copied an entire outfit, but I've certainly made note on fashion blogs of things I like. I love when another blogger will show how to do an updated version of a classic piece. For example, I saw someone (sorry gals, I forget who!) pairing a chambray shirt with printed bottoms, which inspired me to put this look together.

I've always had an obsession with magazines. I shudder to think how much I've spent on them in the course of my life so far. I was reading Seventeen at age eleven, and I remember Cameron Diaz when she was a model, not an actress.

I have a rule: I don't hoard magazines (anymore.... I used to have back issues in towering piles). I read them, earmark pages I want to go back to, then shelve them for about a month. After that, I attack them with scissors and clip out the things I want to keep.... outfits, make-up and hair ideas, work out tips, etc. I tape them into this.

A very fashionable city on the cover

My notebook is essentially an old-school form of Pinterest.

I'm a relative newbie to this social phenomenon, and I admit, I have more desserts pinned than clothes. You can find clothes I lust over here and some recent outfits posts of my own here.

Where do you get your style inspiration from?

I've got a super-busy weekend planned with multiple weddings, so I had my toes did.

OPI.... shade I can't remember :(

XOXO
Glitterary Girl




3 comments:

Unknown said...

I like having notebooks of ideas and pictures. It's nice to have a hard copy of your inspiration :)

http://mrmrswalsh.blogspot.co.nz

Sparkle said...

oh i am pinning food all the time too :) love the nail polisher!

xx

chachamisu said...

Hi, nice to know your blog. I am quite analogue kind of way collecting and cutting inspiration pics from magazine and newspapers! Towering! And still the same, even I have been collecting pics from anywhere in the internet.

Oh, and your outfits in the previous post are chic and simple.

That's why I'm following you now, I hope you follow me too and let's inspire each other!

Nataya,
Naty Ponders Style
Chachamisu Photographs and Travel