Monday, February 02, 2015

My Monthly Purchases: January 2015

Ahhh January. New year, new yearly budget.

Every month, I break down my clothing expenses and share them. I used to have a strict (sort of...) monthly budget, but partway through 2014, I switched to a quarterly budget of $500. This can be rolled into the next quarter if not all spent. My goal is to keep my expenses within $2000 a year. Gifts and gift cards don't count towards my budget.

I'm starting 2015 off with a quarterly budget of $525 (a small roll-over happened last year).

I'm happy to say was a satisfying shopping month. After Christmas sales are in full swing, and it's a great time of year to replace basic winter sweaters.

I was able to check off some "needs" (boots, black sweater, and grey sweater) and there were some impulse buys thrown in there too.

What I Bought

Leather Boots: Town Shoes (own brand, no longer available on-line)
Price: $75, originally $265
Sometime in December I realized I was wearing my flat black ankle boots to work almost every day. I needed another option that would keep me warmer as the temperatures dropped. I bought a pair of boots from Aldo that I ended up returning, and then I found these lovelies. The chain strap is detachable, which is a nice option. They are really tight to zip (and I have small calves) which may be why they were so marked down.



Grey Sweater: Banana Republic
Price: $20, originally $95
I donated my trusty grey H&M v-neck sweater a few months ago (it's prime had passed) and have been missing it. I'm glad a stopped in BR at lunch the other day as this gorgeous thing was heavily marked down and will fill my grey v-neck void so well. I find the BR in-store sales are often better than the on-line ones, as is the case here.

Pink Sweater: Banana Republic (no longer available on-line)
Price: $17, originally $110
Cashmere blend for $17? Yes please - one of those things that you just don't leave in the store. I already have a pink sweater, but at this price it made sense to have two.




Black Sweater: Old Navy (no longer available on-line)
Price: $21, originally $40
I needed a long black sweater to wear with leggings (which are NOT pants BTW). Also, they are helpful with jeans or pants that are fitted in the seat, morphing them into work-appropriate bottoms.



Jeans: Diesel via Winners
Price (crazy!): $37, originally $350
If I had infinite amounts of money, I would likely be clothed heavily in Diesel. Winners loves to bring in Diesel attire (yay!) and I scored this gorgeous pair of boyfriend jeans for next to nothing. They are super-long on me, but are meant to be worn cuffed. I will try them out as-is before deciding to hem or not (I hate hemming). I also had a pair of AG jeans in my hand that I was close to buying. Lots of premium jeans at the Mumford location in Halifax if anyone needs new ones!



Snood: Amercan Eagle Outfitters  (worn here)
Price: $5, originally $40
I wear my black faux fur snood a ton and for $5 (which I think was a mistake as when I went back later that week they were marked back up to $40) this was a great alternate color to have in my closet.

Blazer: Merona at Target (not available on-line)
Price: $11.50, originally $40
This was purchased on the day Target announced their closure. I went to mope and show my support. I think it will look good with jeans and my brown riding boots. Very J Crew-esque.




Original value of items: $590
Price I paid: $150
I saved 75%(and darn proud of it)

I have $350 left to spend this quarter. I  would like to find a casual long sleeved dress that would be work and weekend appropriate.

I'm linked up with Franish today - stop over and see how the others spent their January budgets.

XOXO
Glitterary Girl







No comments: