Sunday, April 30, 2017

Currently 04.30.17

Reading

I read a lot this month, which is just fantastic. I'm spending at least one lunch hour a week reading instead of running errands or shopping, and it's very relaxing. I went thorough so many books partly because I spent a lot of time on planes and in airports.

I Let You Go - Clare Mackintosh
This was a very suspenseful, twisty book that I think you'd like it you were a fan of Gone Girl.

Before I Fall - Lauren Oliver (YA)
I've been meaning to read this for a long time, but the fire was lit under me when the movie version came out. I didn't actually get to see it in the theatre, but I planned to, so I made sure to read it. I really liked it. It was kind of like a teenage angsty Groundhog Day.

Anna and the French Kiss - Stephanie Perkins (YA)
I realized in reading this book, that there are three books by the same author that are connected and I read them in the wrong order. Isla and the Happily Ever After was meant to be read last, but I read it first, sometime last year. I totally enjoyed it. Teenage love in Paris - perfect!

Remembering the Bones - Frances Itani
While I appreciated the idea of the story, I found it to be quite slow in spots. It's about an elderly lady who finds herself stranded in a gully after a car accident and thinks back on her life.

When Breath Becomes Air - Paul Kalanithi
This is a nice quick read that's about a medical resident who gets diagnosed with a terminal illness. It was a very interesting angle to view cancer from. I didn't find it too sad until his wife's epilogue.

Clicking

My favourite thing on the internet in so long (maybe ever) was getting to experience the pregnancy of April the Giraffe and the birth of her baby. I was fascinated with the whole thing, and was really sad when the webcam came down. I'm still checking in on them via Facebook updates, and the camera is back on Tuesday evenings for now. I put in two Zara orders this month... remember, most of it gets sent back. I'm still watching lots of YouTube and loved all of the Coachella coverage.


Watching

I watched the very controversial 13 Reasons Why, making it through the 13 episodes in 10 days which is very fast for me when it comes to TV watching. It's been almost a week since I've finished it and I'm still unsure how I feel about it. I don't want to give it away for those of you who are planning to watch but it's no secret that it's a show about a girl who commits suicide and then tells 13 reasons why she did it. I really believe that it opens up a lot of discussion on suicide, but I feel badly for friends of people who have committed suicide who may watch this show and then worry non-stop that they were the reason why the person did it.
I also watched the final season of Girls and the end was very unsatisfying - as was expected for the show - it would have been very weird for it to have ended any other way. I've started watching PLL's final season and as always I feel like the only way I'd ever fully understand this show is to watch it from start to finish at least five times. Last night R and I watched Neighbours 2: Sorority Rising, which was an easy laugh.

Eating

We had restaurant food the whole week we were in Palm Springs so we haven't been going out much since we returned home. I'm feeling under the weather this weekend so unfortunately we had to cancel dinner plans with friends at Ela last night, which I was really looking forward to. There's been more chocolate around lately thanks to Easter. I've hoarded some mini eggs and Lindt bunnies to get me through the next few months. We've still been incorporating lots of vegetarian dishes into our meal planning, the one below being my most recent favourite.

Mango Chili noodles


Drinking

Most mornings at work, I've been making a tea, which is a nice ritual to begin the work day. I had to try the unicorn frapp from Starbucks when it made its short appearance. I had it made less sweet which was a great decision. I actually liked it, but it wasn't something I could see myself ordering very often if it were on the regular menu.



Seeing

I'm write this post in our basement TV room and I can see the lake and the (turning) green grass outside the patio doors.


Smelling

The remnants of my decaf earl grey tea.

Hearing

I have The Social (past DVR episode) on in the background.

Wearing

Jeans, a tank, and a cardigan. I'm also covered in a cozy blanket.

Feeling

Unwell, as I have been most of the weekend. I'll spare you the details.

Anticipating

I've got some catching up with old friends to do this month which I'm really looking forward to. I'll be seeing friends from previous workplaces and physio school.  Mothers' Day brunch is also something I look forward to every year.

Birthday gift from BFF - Pur cosmetics palette


XOXO
Glitterary Girl

No comments: