Wednesday, April 01, 2015

Well Planned

How much effort do you put into your daily style choices?

Being a style blogger, it's probably not a surprise to learn that I plan what I wear almost every day. For me the morning is not an inspirational time, and if I decided what to wear at that time of day, I'd be in very boring stuff.


Here are a few of my tips to make getting dressed a bit easier.

1) Think about your day ahead.

Will you be going to work, shopping, hanging out with friends, or going to a swanky restaurant? You don't want to be in an outfit that isn't appropriate. If you come up with something that doesn't fit your plans, take a picture, and save it for another time! Some of my favourite outfits have been imagined at the strangest times and jotted down for future reference.

2) Have a few pieces "on deck".

On Sundays, I pull a few items that I want to wear for the work week ahead. I try  to choose things that I haven't worn in a while - that keeps me from constantly wearing the same things. Each night, I'll pick something from that selection and put together a whole outfit, including accessories. On the weekends, I'm a bit more unstructured, as I'm usually getting up later and not in as much of a rush.

3) Try to curate your wardrobe so it can be mixed as much as possible. 

Yes, I know those yellow, blue, and red printed pants are super-cute, but what are you going to wear with them? Oh, you have one shirt that looks ok? That is SO not enough. You will be sick of that outfit after wearing it twice, and you'll never wear those pants again. Neutrals and solid colors are the best choices for a mixable closet. They can always be jazzed up with accessories. If you really crave a print, pick one with an "easy color" in the mix (e.g. black, white, navy) so you will likely have more options that will go with the print. Denim and chambray pretty much go with anything!

4) Plan a back up

If I'm going somewhere important, I plan an outfit and then loosely plan an alternate. I've had times where I was sure of what I wanted to wear somewhere and then changed my mind the day of. Having an alternate will prevent panic mode, and consequently "closet bomb".

5) Have a formula for an easy look that can be worn almost anywhere. 

My easy outfit formula is jeans, a "nice" tee, and a blazer. I can wear this to work, to the mall, to the library, or out to dinner to most places. Wearing flashier accessories can do wonders to "dress up" an outfit formula.

6) Browse for inspiration

I regularly check out fashion sites (www.whowhatwear.com is my favourite) and magazines for inspiration. I buy magazines monthly (3 for $10 at Wal-mart) and cut out my favourite outfits. To be honest, I don't refer to them all that often, but they are nice to have in case you feel like you need a nudge in the right direction.

Please share your own style advice for making your day-to-day dressing easier!

XOXO
Glitterary Girl


No comments: