Wednesday, January 16, 2013

New Year's Sneeze

OK, I know I'm a little late posting and a wee bit on the casual side... but here's my outfit from New Year's Eve. FYI:  I was in the middle of a stupid and unfortunately-timed head cold and we went to the movies as that was the most effort I could muster up.


Details
Tunic and belt: Dynamite (Halifax)
Leggings: Margolians (Truro)
Boots: Call it Spring (Halifax)
Jacket: Danier (Halifax)
Bag: Coach (gift)
Bracelet: gift
Necklace: Swarovski (gift)
Headband and socks: Joe Fresh (Halifax)


We saw Silver Linings Playbook and really enjoyed it! I'd never been to the movies on NYE before - it was packed! Have you seen any great movies lately?

Injecting more literary into Glitterary Girl, here's another writing sample from the topic generator Plinky.


Recall your very first day of school. How did you feel?  Write about it.

The months leading up to September when you’re five are filled with variations of the question, “Are you excited to start school?”
Always, my answer was “no” and then my lip would tremble.
I was a pretty sheltered kid. Up until I started school, I think I was only ever looked after by my family. I never had a babysitter. I had friends, but we usually played in my yard.
My mother took the day off work, knowing that my first day at school probably wouldn't go well. Good call, mom. It was raining and not even the thought of using my new Garfield lunch box brought a smile to my face.
When mom and I got to school, the teacher was nice enough, but there was no way I was letting go of mom’s hand. The only thing that made me feel slightly better was that my best friend Joey was going to be in my class. Imagine my horror to find Joey in the corner playing dump trucks with boys. Joey and I never played with dump trucks.
Defeated, I sat down at my new desk. My mom was able to negotiate that she would stay with me and sit about fifteen feet away. In the middle of some activity like learning to count (hello… I could already count) I looked up to see my mom wasn't in her chair. I leapt from my seat and ran screaming up the stairs towards the exit, dragging her back. This happened repeatedly throughout the day.
So my first day of school wasn't a great memory, but it slowly got better. I stopped crying every morning by the time Christmas vacation rolled around, and in grade three, I actually started to like school a bit. My primary teacher spoke at my high school graduation and made reference to the fact that the valedictorian had cried through most of her first year of school. By that point I was able to laugh about it – sort of!


XOXO
Glitterary Girl

No comments: