Wednesday, April 02, 2014

My Monthly Purchases: March 2014

I had some gift card spending to do this month. I'm not really sure how to handle gift cards/gift money in relation to my clothing budget. When I'm gifted an article of actual clothing, I don't count it towards my budget obviously, so I'm inclined to think that gift card purchases shouldn't count. Ladies who budget, what do you do with gift cards?

Gift Card Purchases

Pants: Ralph Lauren via Winners
Discounted from $100 to $30 (free using gift card)
Black work pants were on my wish list. I'm not sure how I managed to get through the winter with only one pair in my closet, but I often wished for a second pair. They're in the wash, so no photo.

Tank: Diesel via Winners
Discounted from approx. $150 to $25
Winners has been getting some decent stuff in stock lately in their new "Contemporary" section. I have a "love from afar" relationship with Diesel as I refuse to pay full price for it but really love the brand.  Winners has an annoying habit of peeling off the brand's actual price tag (but they often miss it). Their "comparable to" tag is often way lower than the original price. For example, the "comparable to" tag on this tank is $40. Now, I know that you can't get a Diesel shoelace for $40, but they peeled off the original tag. So I went online and found something comparable listed for $150 at the Bay, which sounds more like Diesel's (over) pricing. Wouldn't it make sense for Winners to want to show the actual retail price? I don't get it. You'll all be proud of me for not giving in to the pink leather vest I wore for a solid ten minutes in the fitting room. It was still $130 (marked down from $700 - they forgot to get rid of the original tag ), but I actually do want a new brown leather jacket which would see far more wear than a pink leather vest, no matter how pretty it was.


Skirt: Banana Republic (no longer available on-line)
Discounted from $110 to $49 (free using gift card c/o Halifax Shopping Centre for doing an Opposites Attract feature for them)
I love love love this skirt and was eyeing it from the second I saw it on-line. I was hoarding my HSC gift card, waiting for the perfect item to spend it on. This was it! I haven't worn it yet, but I do want to get at least one wear out of it with black tights before the weather changes.





Earrings: Silpada
Regular price $34 (free with birthday money)
I am supposed to be on a jewelry buying ban for awhile but I don't actually own anything in turquoise and I thought these were really cute. I love the look of white clothes and turquoise accessories in the summer.

P2833

T-shirt: Smart Set
Discounted from $16 to $10 (free with birthday money)
This was an impulse buy a few days before St Patrick's Day, but a good bright piece that looks great with black, white, or navy. I wore it with black pants and a black cardigan for St Patrick's Day at the office, but failed to get a photo.

Coloured t-shirt with scoop-neck
Mine is kelly green

Amount spent in gift cards/gift money: $148
Value $402

My Own Money Purchases

Sweater: Jacob (no longer available on-line)
Discounted from $50 to $7.50
I love the look of this slouchy v-neck. I can wear it over button-ups or over a dress. I promise I'll steam it before I wear it!



Dress: Old Navy
Discounted from $33 to $25
This dress is a blank canvas for styling, and I think I will get a lot of wear out of it in the spring and next fall too. A good piece for transitioning seasons.

Women's Patch-Pocket Denim Dresses

Shirt: Club Monaco
Regular price $64.50
It is SO HARD to find a great white oxford shirt. Thank you Club Monaco salesgirl for leading me to the men's section! I bought this in men's XS and it is wonderful! Not too thin, long enough to cover my bottom should I want to wear it with structured leggings, and no gaping buttons at chest level!



Dress: Sarah Stevenson for Target
Regular Price $35
I did a blog post on this dress already. I can't wait to wear it with my denim jacket!


Skirt: Peter Pilotto for Target
Discounted from $35 to $17.50
This was one of the pieces I said I'd go back for if it went on clearance, which it did.




Total spent: $149.50
Total value:  $217.50
I saved 31%

It's time to look at my seasonal spending which I've budgeted at $500 every three months.
January = $154
February = $193
March = $150

Grand total for first quarter of 2014: $497

Next month includes a trip to Vancouver and undoubtedly some new clothes will be bought. Good thing I have gift cards and birthday money to spend!

XOXO
Glitterary Girl

No comments: