Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Lancome Loot

I always try to attend the Shoppers Drug Mart galas that support Look Good, Feel Better. The charity helps women with cancer navigate some of the physical changes a person with cancer might go through.The majority of the clients I work with have cancer, so it's a cause that means a lot to me.

For the Christmas gala, I went to Shoppers on Lacewood Drive in Halifax. They had a saxophone player, snacks, punch, and lots of products on display. I had my makeup done for free by the Benefit make-up artist (she was so sweet) with a focus on face products. Their Hoola bronzer is amazing, and I now I totally understand why it has such a following among beauty bloggers.

When you buy a ticket, you get a $5 off coupon to spend that day in the beauty boutique. I decided on a lipstick (Revlon Ultimate Suede Lipstick in Socialite) which I ended up paying $4.99 for. It's a pinky nude shade. I wore it once and liked it, but wasn't really paying close enough attention to properly review it's long-lasting claims. However, I did end up brushing my teeth a good six hours after application and having some of it end up on the toothbrush so it definitely didn't wear off completely.

The gala always has a lot of door prizes, and I was excited to get the call the next day that I'd won something. I stopped in on Saturday to pick up my prize and was delighted to have won one of the big ones - a Lancome gift box worth  about $200. I received a huge bottle of La Vie est Belle fragrance ($110), a full size Hypnose Drama mascara ($33), a full size Effet Miracle primer ($40), and several samples (Dreamtone Dark Spot Corrector, Genifique Youth Activating Concentrate, and Tresor fragrance).



I always hesitate when trying new perfumes as I can be really picky. At first, I admit, La Vie est Belle was not a hit with me. It was too strong, and I like my perfume light. BUT... after about ten minutes of it reacting to my skin, I smelled my wrist and I loved it! After the initial strength wore off, it left a gorgeous, complex fragrance that was predominantly vanilla. I looked up the notes in this fragrance because I was so curious and discovered it is a "gourmand scent" - I had no idea what that meant so I had to look that up too! The best description I found was - "smells like you want to eat your arm off". Now I understand why I love it! It may be one of those I spray and walk into... it's very strong and long lasting when applied directly.

The mascara is really good - comparable to Benefit's They're Real which is my current fave. The wand is so cool - it's "S" shaped and can get at ALL your lashes. It doesn't get stiff after a few hours, which is a big complaint of mine with most mascaras. I don't know that I'd pay $33 for it (or ANY mascara for that matter) but it is amazing!!



If you live near a Shoppers Drug Mart, I highly recommend the Look Good, Feel Better Galas. They are a fun time and support a great cause!

XOXO
Glitterary Girl


No comments: