Sunday, April 01, 2012

Rejects and Rosebuds

"The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you've got to put up with the rain." - Dolly Parton

Last week, I got my first reply from an agent.

I sat there and stared at the unopened e-mail for a good five minutes before I had the guts to click on it. I told myself that there was about a 1% chance that it was going to be a positive response. I actually whispered the word "rejection" over and over to myself before I opened it, just so I was prepared and it wouldn't sting quite as much.

Still, when I looked at those words, it hurt.

They weren't even mean words or discouraging words...and there were blessedly few of them. It doesn't matter the words that were actually there, what it translated to in my mind was something like,

"Girl, you suck."

I don't have a child, but it took several years to create this book. It only takes 9 months to grow a baby. Therefore, I am allowed to feel like this book is my baby. When I approach agents to represent my book, it's like I'm a new mom pulling the blanket away from my baby's face to show it to a stranger. And then that stranger says, "Ew, that kid is uggg-ly. I don't want to look at that nasty baby anymore. Get it away from me."

Sob.


So I let myself be sad for five minutes. All the books on getting published were right. Rejection is going to happen. Guaranteed. And it's going to happen many more times. Maybe on a daily basis, depending on how fast I can get these e-mails sent.

"There is no comparison between that which is lost by not succeeding and that lost by not trying." 
- Francis Bacon Sr.

Someday, if I'm lucky, maybe everything will come up roses.


Until then, I have to get my roses from a tin.


Here's Smith's Rosebud Salve. I bought this for the first time in Vancouver, probably in June of 2011.

On my nails: OPI Black Shatter over Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Extreme Wear in Lacey Lilac 



I know it's hard to tell from the photo, but I've probably got over half of the tin left and I use it every night before bed on my lips and sometimes throughout the day too. It leaves your lips soft and shiny and smells.... well, like roses.

You can find this product at Sephora and American Apparel in Halifax (and maybe other spots too, but I know these places carry it for sure). It retails for around $8-9. I have a new one in strawberry flavour, but I'm waiting to finish this one before I open it.

XOXO
Glitterary Girl





 

No comments: