Monday, September 24, 2012

The Pitch

Glitterary Girl is supposed to be a play on the words "glitter" and "literary".

Lately my posts have been mainly glitter with not much literature. So here's a post about the other side of the blog.

Last year I went to Word on the Street, a writer's playground on the Halifax waterfront. There were books to browse, readings to attend, and plenty of other writers to mingle with. One of the events I attended was Pitch the Publisher, where writers get a chance to stand in front of three local publishers and tell them about a writing project that they'd like to see in print.

I promised myself that I'd finish my book and pitch it by the time the 2012 event took place.

From reading other blogs, and based on what I saw last year, I knew there wasn't much of a chance I'd have any luck getting my book picked up. Genre fiction is frowned upon in this market, and my book can definitely be described as "chick-lit". However, I knew it would be a fabulous opportunity to get opinions from professionals on the quality of my pitch. I'll take all the help in this process that I can get!

I was moderately nervous before the event and didn't even want any supporters in the audience. That way, if I was booed off the stage, no one would know but me!

To sum it up: it was a positive experience. My voice wavered only slightly, I didn't trip on my way to the microphone, and I got mostly positive feedback. As expected, Nova Scotia isn't a great market to try to publish chick-lit, but now I know that for sure and I'll continue to send queries out to agents in larger centers.

I wear my glasses when I want to look bookish.

Details:
Cardigan and scarf: Smart Set (Halifax)
Jeans: Calvin Klein (Costco, Halifax)
Shoes: Franco Sarto (Town Shoes, Toronto)
Tank and necklace: Forever 21 (LA)
Glasses: D&G
Watch: Guess (Vancouver)

I picked up the latest novel, Kin, by one of my favorite Nova Scotia authors (Lesley Crewe) and was fortunate enough to speak with her for a few minutes. She was so friendly and encouraging! I can't wait to read Kin, and I'll feature it in a Novel-Tea post when I'm done.

XOXO
Glitterary Girl





6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps the times are changing in Nova Scotia--for the better. New publishers are setting up shop and giving a voice to all genres, not just the literary genre. The large, traditional (meaning literary) publishes can stay their path, but they might get pushed over by a swell.

Good for you for taking the plunge and pitching your idea.

Jen said...

Thanks Diane! It was fun!

Unknown said...

That takes bravery for sure; well done you for putting yourself out there!

Unknown said...



Great post!

3 words LOVE YOUR STYLE :)

I'm an instant follower of you now :)

Please feel free to check out my blog if you have the time

Love,

Janice
the-fashion-milkshake.blogspot.nl

Fash Boulevard said...

not tripping on your way to the mic is always a good start. :) You look beautiful! Adore this post, love. If you get a sec, I'd love to hear your thoughts on my latest outfit. xo

www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

Talitha Azarov said...

maybe you can pitch in chicago where chick lit rocks!;)Good luck!!!
Please check out some of my looks on BestTrendsForever.com!!