Monday, September 05, 2016

My Monthly Purchases: August 2016

Every month, I break down my clothing expenses and share them. My quarterly budget is $500. This amount can be rolled into the next quarter if it's not all spent. My goal is to keep my out of pocket expenses within $2000 a year. Gifts and gift cards don't count towards my budget. Since I've been keeping a budget, I'm much more careful with what I buy, and I will return stuff at the end of the month if I'm not crazy about it after hanging it in my closet.

August was interesting for me as I went to Toronto and barely bought anything! The thing is, it was freaking HOT in Toronto, so I just couldn't get my head around fall. Also interesting was I had a few shopping trips with my mom and she insisted on buying me stuff which doesn't get counted in my budget. I'll put my much appreciated Mom gifts at the end!

Bomber: H&M (Toronto)
Reg: $40
I eyed this on the website a few weeks ago and when I saw it in person in Toronto, I had to have it. It's such a pretty pink color and surprisingly warm. I'll have to be careful with how I wear it, because it could easily look Pink Ladies from Grease. I'll try to do an outfit post wearing it soon.



Shirt: Brandy Melville (Toronto)
Reg $24
I find Brandy Melville so interesting as most items are "one size fits all". This houndstooth tee will get a lot of wear all year long.



Tank: Samuel and Co.
Reg $29, on sale for $10
I have a few of these tanks and they are great - thick and long. Perfect for layering under cardigans. Sorry no photo- it's in the wash.

Shirt: Wilfred at Aritzia
Reg $35, on sale for $17.50
Choker: Forever 21 (Toronto)
Reg $9
I've worn this tee four times already and it even though it's patterned, it goes with so much as it has black, brown, blue, and wine in it. Immediately, I was drawn to this choker.  It has a very pretty pattern and a great price.




Cardigan: Bluenotes
Reg $13
I wanted a long blue cardigan to take with me to Toronto and this one is surprisingly nice given how inexpensive it is. They have it in a bunch of colors.



Tee: Golden by TNA from Aritzia
Reg $45, on sale for $10
I had my eye on this for a while but really didn't need it. I almost bought it when it was $20, but decided not to. When it was further discounted to $10, I scooped it up.



Tee: Banana Republic
Reg $50, on sale for $12
I like the linen blend of this tee and the rose gold stripes.



Hat: Golden by TNA at TNA (Toronto)
Reg $28
The Eaton Centre is great if you're an Aritzia fan as they have Aritzia, TNA, and Wilfred. You can go to Aritzia if your vibing all their brands, or you can be more specific and visit the stand alone stores. I'm so glad I went to TNA as this hat was only available in the color I got at the TNA store. I wore my black TNA hat so much this summer that I could defiantly justify one in another color.



Dress: Oak + Fort (Toronto)
Reg: $38
I'd heard of this store but this was the first time I actually went in one. It's a minimalist's dream. Lots of back, white, grey, and cream. Comfortable basic pieces. This dress will work on it's own but could also be worn as a long tee over pants or leggings.



Ring: Oak + Fort (Toronto)
Reg $10
I rarely ever wear rings besides my wedding set, so it must mean I really like this one to pick it up. I love the shape and the matte color.



Earrings: Envy
Reg $14, on sale for $4.
I have a lot of silver coloured studs but not a lot of gold. These are really delicate and pretty.





GIFTS BELOW

Top: Aritzia
Reg $125, on sale for $40
I'm obsessed with white. I bought a heavier knit white shell from Uniqlo in LA and have worn it a lot. This one is thinner and I love the belt detail.



Shorts: Talula at Aritzia
Reg $55, on sale for $27.50
These shorts are amazing. I regret not getting them in black as well. I wore them in Toronto and they are super comfy. They're a really flattering length. Short but not too short. I wonder what Aritzia does with all the summer stuff that is still left at the end of the sale? I bet it goes to the Vancouver clearance sale they have at the convention centre. I should really book a vacation there around that sale...

Sorry I'm wrinkled. Just off the drying rack.


Sweater: Guess via Moments boutique
Reg $75, on sale for $37.50
Cold shoulder is cool. White is my thing. This is totally warm enough to wear in the fall. I bought it a bit oversized.



Original value of items: $335
Price I paid: $215
I saved 36%

That leaves me with $165 to spend in September. I need to get my fall clothes out to see what I have. I'm pretty sure I needed a new black sweater at the end of last winter. I have been drooling over the Club Monaco fall collection, but it kills me to buy full price there. I tend to buy on sale at end of season to wear the following year.

XOXO
Glitterary Girl

No comments: