Monday, December 07, 2015

Changes

When I've hit a bit of a slump, there is one thing that will get my motivation back on track. New workout gear! Are you shocked it involved clothing? No?

For the past many months, I've been struggling to stick to any type of exercise. I have a great week or two, then I get exhausted and can't drag myself down to the basement to work out. As an ex gym rat, I often consider getting a gym membership again, but the thing is, I KNOW I don't need one. I can do this with what I already own. I've been doing incline training on the treadmill and throwing in some Beachbody workouts as well.

Any of the health-related info below is specific to me - I'm not pretending to be a doctor and what works for me might not be the right thing for you. 

The following may be oversharing, but that's sometimes what bloggers do. Several months ago, I decided to try seeking the advice of a naturopath to see if we could get to the root of why I always felt so freaking tired. It was getting to the point where I'd spend my work breaks sleeping in the reading room. Not cool, and not normal. To make a very long story short, I'm teetering on the edge of hypothyroidism and low B12. What I didn't know is that there is a vast range of "normal values" for both thyroid stimulating hormone and B12 (both which affect energy and thyroid affects metabolism), and when you're symptomatic, you can try to try to treat both to see if it makes you feel better. It's been a long few months of injections, blood tests and new medications, but I'm starting to feel better for the most part. Some weeks are better than others, and I feel almost euphoric with energy. Other weeks, like this past one, I've been feeling sluggish again. 

I'm still dragging around extra pounds and waiting to see if my thyroid meds need adjusting, but I'm more in tune with what my body needs for its best functioning. For me, it's making sure I'm getting enough protein and limiting carbs to around 100 g per day. Not to say that I am perfect at sticking to it, but at least I know why I was feeling so gross and bloated all the time. I was eating far too many carbs. My skin has also been suffering from all the changes in hormones, but I'm getting that back on track as well. 

This new gear from lululemon arrived at the perfect time. Christmas is a hard time to keep snacking in check, and when I'm working out, I tend to eat healthier. These clothes make me want to be active!


Details
Top: Runderful c/o lululemon
Bottoms: All the Right Places Pant c/o lululemon
Hat: Forever 21
Sneakers: Asics



I'm loving everything from lululemon! These pants are fabulous for streamlining - everything is held in place! This top is great for working out, but could be worn in other settings as well. The staff at the holiday pop-up store in Halifax Shopping Centre were so helpful - and not having to worry about parking downtown to access lulu is a gift in itself!

XOXO
Glitterary Girl

No comments: